Ourafter: A Solid Alternative Rock Band


Since I haven't done the "Band/Artist of The Week (that you might not have heard of)" spot in a while. I figured I would sort of kill two birds with one stone here and feature this band not only because a lot of people may not know of them, but also because the band is from my hometown and I happen to know the lead singer AND have a feeling they might just be going somewhere.

So, I give you... OURAFTER

The band has been around since 2006, but John "Guido" Phillips has been writing and playing music for a number of years, both by himself as well as a member of the cover/party band UUU.

The rest of the group is comprised of Steve Husted on lead and rhythm guitar and backup vocals, Aaron Bruch on bass, Mike Dudley on lead, rhythm guitar, and the Chapman Stick (an instrument that is essentially the neck of an electric guitar played only by finger-tapping) and finally Chad Szeliga on drums and percussion. By the way, Chad is also the current drummer for the little band by the name of Breaking Benjamin.

Because the group includes 5 members (and 3 guitars), Ourafter's music is extremely full sounding, as each individual member contributes their own element to the band's sound as a cohesive whole. Drawing from alternative, post-punk, ambient, and current mainstream rock, their melodies, rhythms, lyrics, and songs as a whole are both passionate and heartfelt as well as powerful and catchy. I'll be the first to admit that their music might not be exactly "my scene", but I'll also be the first to admit that I honestly think this band is extremely talented and is certainly on to something. I'm not surprised that they have already opened for such national acts as: Flyleaf, 10 Years, Red, MAE, Yellowcard, Saving Abel, Rev Theory, Smile Empty Soul, The Exies, Everclear, Boy Hits Car, Johnny Lives, Eve to Adam, The Ataris, and Cage 9.

If they continue to create as good music as they have been, I feel there is nowhere to go but up for this band. Just give them a LISTEN and you'll understand what I mean. (a few personal favorites are : Push the Pill, Candles, Karma and Circles). If you are on the East coast around PA, New York, Maryland, or Virginia be sure to check these guys out. You won't be disappointed.

Good luck fellas.




(featuring old drummer and bassist)

0 comments: