Railroad Earth @ The TLA


This past Saturday I finally got the chance to catch the band Railroad Earth live at the Theater of Living Arts in Philadelphia. Let me say I was not disappointed in the least bit and the band's performance was much more than what I had expected.

Prior to the concert, I had been listing to the band's albums for at least a year or so (thanks Ludwig) and had really enjoyed what I heard. It's just all around good music. (on a side note their song "Been Down This Road" happens to be one of my favorite songs for some reason unbeknown to me). Anyway, I had always considered the band to be pretty much a bluegrass band, but according to a writeup on the band's website;

the members of Railroad Earth aren’t losing sleep about what “kind” of music they play – they just play it. When they started out in 2001, they were a bunch of guys interested in playing acoustic instruments together.


After seeing the band live, I've got to say they are absolutely much more than a bluegrass band. They incorporated elements of country, americana jazz (thanks to the saxophone work of the band's multi-instrumentalist Andy Goessling) rock and roll, and even had a few Grateful Dead-esque jams thrown in. This is a really talented group of guys, from Todd Sheaffer's lead vocals and song writing to the amazing back and forth "call and response" type instrumentation between Tim Carbone on violin and John Skehan on mandolin, everyone in the band contributed to the great music.

I certainly wasn't the only one who enjoyed the show, as there were rampant smiles and dancing throughout the entire night.

Thank you Railroad Earth.

Give em a listen.

0 comments: