I Love Spinning Cabinets!

http://www.8ball.co.uk/productimages/20773-2.jpghttp://ropeadope.com/images/uploads/album_images/sl_love_cover2.jpg


So for a while I was really into indie, folky, country, singer songwriter stuff. Stuff like Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, A.A Bondy, Monsters of Folk type stuff.

Also for a while (like a 7 year while) I have be extremely into Ropeadoope Records. They have always been a great label that I've looked at for putting out great music. (like Charlie Hunter's "Right Now Move", Medeski Martin and Wood's "Uninvisble", the fantastic Philadelphia Experiment, and newer releases like Greg Hester's "Hustlers, Killers, and Thieves," and Drive If You Must's "Circles". All of these albums share the quality jazzy,funky, or experimental type music that I've Ropeadope to put out. Surprisingly though, a few newer releases have strayed out in quite a different direction.

Releases from the band Cabinet and more recently The Spinning Leaves have captured that folky country sound I had gotten so found of. Cabinet's self titled release is an upbeat country joyride containing some great danceable, fun, and beautifully written bluegrass tunes. I can't say I dislike any song on the entire album although Elizabeth, The Tower, and The One are a few of my favorites.

The Spinning Leaves' release "Love" is, as Bruce Warren WXPN's Executive Producer has said:

acoustic music with air and warmth and vibrancy. This ain't your old folk. It's new folk steeped in tradition for the modern world.


This is really some great music from both bands, and you don't have to listen to me ramble on about them to figure it out. Just give them a listen below.

Get to it!

<a href="http://thespinningleaves.bandcamp.com/album/love">The Promontory Wind by The Spinning Leaves</a>



Cabinet Live from the Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg, PA on November 28, 2009.


0 comments: