A Brief Interview













This afternoon I made my way down to the Old City section of Philadelphia where I had the opportunity to chat with Mike, the owner of AKA Music. In between the many phone calls he received during the time I was there (he was in the middle of working), Mike was nice enough to let me ask him a few questions about music, the business, and some other miscellaneous things. Here is the transcription of both my questions and his answers:

Q: How is business now as apposed to 5 or 10 years ago?
A: It's still good. We are a niche operation that caters to the "music enthusiast". Mostly people looking for more independent artists and bands.

Q: What is currently popular/selling?
A: Right now: Beruit, Bon Iver, Andrew Bird and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart (All mostly independent artists)

Q: Is the music industry at fault for the decline in overall album sales?
A: Yes. They are just looking for big hits and aren't interested in developing an artist's career.

Q: Do you think radio is dying out?
A: I can't say I really even listen to it. Some college stations are okay, but popular radio is awful. It's all programmed and they don't take any chances.

Q: Who are some of your favorite new artists?
A: I don't listen to too many but a few of them are: Intrusion (minimalist-electronic) Matthew Shipp (jazz) and Zombi ( kind of like early Kraftwerk)

Q: Do you think the CD will ever "die" ?
A: You mean the physical CD? no I don't think it will.

Q: When you listen to music, are you more about lyrics or the instrumentation?
A: Music first

Q: What do you think about rap music?
A: I like some of it, more of the underground stuff.
Q: Because you are more instrumentals first?
A: Exactly. Also it depends on what music it's sampled from and how sharp that is.
Q: Is there anybody in particular?
A: Yesterday's New Quintet, they haven't anything in a while but have done some different side projects and things.

Q: What is one of your favorite albums of all time?
A: Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers"

Q: What was the last concert you went to?
A: Jon Hassell

Q: Jimi Hendrix or Jim Morrison?
A: Hendrix, easily.

Q: What are some keys to success in this industry? Whether you are starting a band, label, business, or whatever. Is there anything that could help you across the board in all of them?
A: Persistence and the first person you need to sell that to is yourself.

Our conversation ended as I thanked Mike for his time and honest answers. I'm glad I got to talk with him a bit and I'm sure I will make my way back to AKA in the future.

0 comments: