techno-tronica


This really isn't "new" news but i figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.I know techno,house,electronica, dance music, or whatever you would like to call it these days has sort of "historically" gotten a bad rap (at least in certain contexts). A good deal of people think it's stupid, boring, repetitive, etc, (which I do understand) and a good deal of people also just can't stand the type of fan that is drawn to this type of music. (Bisco kids get a bad rap but well..never mind)

Despite that,it can't be denied that it seems to be continually gaining huge popularity, especially among the jam band community with bands/groups like: The New Deal, Disco Biscuits (their various side projects: Conspirator, M80 Dub Station) Sound Tribe Sector 9, Telepath,MSTRKRFT, Thievery Corporation, Infected Mushroom, Hallucinogen, Lotus, Deadmau5, Girl Talk, even the band Ozric Tentacles who have been around since the early 90s and COUNTLESS others (Hey even the String Cheese Incident broke up and around 4 of the 6 members have electronic based projects going on) So what's my point to all this? I don't know, I guess I don't really have one, but I happen to enjoy this stuff and I take it for what it's worth. I think it's just fun music and I'm a beat junkie, a sucker for something that can make me nod my head or tap my foot and if you can make me do that then you're half way to making me dance around like an idiot.

Actually, this does have a point. This genre has been creeping into pop music for quite a while now (Moby,Fatboy Slim,Daft Punk , thanks Kanye) and it looks like it's all starting to blend together and become more mainstream (Kanye West's 808's and Heartbreaks, Rhianna/Ti's "Live Your Life", Common's new album "Universal Mind Control", Chromeo's "Fancy Footwork", that lousy Metro Station band, etc etc etc) I don't know, it seems like people are looking for something new to do so they are ripping off what is popular in the "underground" (which i guess is what always ends up happening anyway) Oh well.

Ozric Tentacles


Disco Biscuits


Daft Punk


Chromeo


Common

0 comments: