Love Park Skateboarding


I don't have too much knowledge about the skateboarding scene but I have always thought it was awesome and have huge respect for people who are good at it. I myself got a cheap board for Christmas one year when I was about 10 or 11 but soon found out I completely lacked any sense of balance,skill, or determination it took to make any progression whatsoever. Nonetheless, I still think it's cool. That's besides the point though.

Let's get down to the reason for this. I never had any idea that up until just a few years ago, "Love Park" in Philadelphia was such a world renown skate spot. BUT, back in 2002 the park was closed off to all skateboarding and since then it has been illegal to skate the park,. Although there have been petitions and movements to reopen the park, with thousands of supporters and over $1,000,000 in contributions to fund the renovations and upkeep of the park, there is still no plan to reopen the park to skaters.

I say if there is a way to reopen the park so that skaters and non-skaters can coexist...THEN DO IT. Philly has a different mayor than they did when they tried the first time, who not try again? Ban together and do something about it.Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Watch this sweet ass documentary video about the park.



(thanks Katie Fry)

0 comments: