Bob Dylan Philadelphia 11/09/09


I just got back from seeing the legendary Bob Dylan in concert for the first time (IN THE SECOND ROW!!!!). I hear his concerts are hit or miss but I have to say, I was completely satisfied. The guy has still got it! To me his aged and rugged voice sounded great. It has this character to it and it matches the "grizzled veteran" that is Bob Dylan. And he can still play! He stuck behind the keys for most of the night and wasn't turned up all that loud in the mix, but when he ventured out to play some guitar or harmonica, his musical ability shown through. I've never considered him a "great" guitar player but he impressed me with some pretty nice licks here and there and his harmonica playing was solid.

I can't call myself a HUGE Dylan fan, simply because I don't know enough of his (extremely vast) catalog. But I do have a pretty solid collection of his albums and I'm getting more and more into him as time goes on. Despite that, I have the utmost respect for him and ALL that he has done for music and culture in general. A few setlist high points for me were: the "Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" opener, "Desolation Row", "Highway 61", "Workingman's Blues #2", "Ballad of a Thin Man", and the Encore "Like a Rolling Stone", and "Watchtower".

Overall, as I said above, I was (and am) completely satisfied with both Dylan and his backing band, who were extremely tight (highlights were guitarist Charlie Sexton and the drummer who's name escapes me). Although I'm pretty easy to please and have no other performance to compare it to (other than other concerts I've been to) I really have no complaints. I just feel honored to have been able to see the great and legendary Bob Dylan.

I still really can't believe it.


Entire Setlist

1. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
(Bob on keyboard)
2. Man In The Long Black Coat (Bob on guitar)
3. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob on guitar)
4. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on trumpet)
5. Spirit On The Water (Bob on keyboard)
6. High Water (For Charley Patton)
(Bob center stage on harmonica, Donnie on banjo)
7. Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on keyboard and harmonica)
8. Cold Irons Bound (Bob center stage on harmonica)
9. Desolation Row (Bob on keyboard , Donnie on electric mandolin)
10. Po' Boy (Bob on keyboard and harmonica)
11. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)
12. Workingman's Blues #2 (Bob on keyboard then center stage on harmonica)
13. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on keyboard)
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob center stage on harmonica)



(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on keyboard)
16. Jolene (Bob on keyboard, Tony on standup bass)
17. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The drummer's name is George Receli.

Danny b Funk said...

Thank you and thanks for reading as well!