J. Tillman at The Church


Last evening I had the pleasure of paying a visit to the First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia, not for a service (well, not exactly), but to see J. Tillman perform in the Church's intimate side chapel. Let me start by saying I have never been in a Church for a concert, or really anything "non-religiously" affiliated (well, again...not exactly).

Why do I keep saying "not exactly"? Well, because some people can certainly argue that (some) music can be considered a religious experience. I can't argue against it. Okay, moving on!

Now let me REALLY get started by saying this little chapel only holds about 50 people in it, which made the experience all the better. I got to the Church pretty early and after waiting around a bit for the doors to open, I entered the tiny room, sat down in the front pew (yes a pew), and waited anxiously for the show to begin.

Soon after, the opener, "Pearly Gate Music", who happens to be Tillman's younger Brother Zach (who also plays bass for him) came out to perform a few songs of his own. I would consider his music sort of lo-fi-super-reverbed-emo-folk, but if that turns you off, I must say it was pretty good. Zach sang with a true passion that can only come from the heart and although he was a little too much for me at times, he had a solid voice, and a realness to his music.

After Zach's performance I was good and ready (that sounds a little too sexual) for the elder Tillman. A few minuets later, he emerged from the side door of the Chapel with the rest of his 5 piece band (acoustic guitar,electric guitar, drums, bass, and pedal steel). Right from the get go I thought they were great. Tillman's hushed vocals and softly strummed guitar fit perfectly with the setting we were in. While some songs possessed the vocal harmonies fans of his other work with Fleet Foxes, certainly appreciated, others had louder blues/gospel and louder rock sensibilities. Also, for claiming no religious affiliation, (at one point he mentioned he "liked everything and nothing"), many of his songs had a very Christian undertone (maybe even overtone?) to them. Nonetheless, his lyrics, music, and overall performance were extremely passionate and heartfelt.

I had a great time and was extremely pleased at my decision to check out this show. Also I got the chance to shake Josh's hand and thank he and the band for the great performance. I now see he certainly has a hell of a lot more too offer than just being the drummer for Fleet Foxes (he's actually been making music since before joining the band). I highly suggest to any fans of folky,woodsy, acoustic, blues rock, americana type music to check this guy out. You shouldn't be disappointed.

Also, it definitely won't be the last time I catch a show at "The Church". Thanks R5 Productions for giving me the heads up about this show.

Check out a few tunes

1.


2.


3.

0 comments: